Sunday, September 25, 2011

The Missing Piece, by Shel Silverstein

I used to have a friend ("I used to" because we are no longer in touch) who once, in New York, where we first met, took me to a children's bookstore - Books of Wonder, it still exists. I don't know what I was looking for, but she started getting excited at the view of some books she was very familiar with, books she had grown up reading. And she kept finding them, and commented each and every one to me while putting them in my hands. One was Bridge to Terabithia, another was The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, and then there was this very special one, The Missing Piece, that she adored. I bought them all, five or six books from my friend's childhood. Some years after, I gave the book as a present to my sister. This is a treasure I'm giving to you, I thought, or said (we were a little bit closer than now). And years after that, I sort of regretted not having kept it for myself. Over the time, I found translations of books by Silverstein (The Giving Tree, usually), but not, never, The Missing Piece, which I still don't have. So today I saw a beautiful movie, a love story - I guess it could be said - about missing pieces, and while looking for a song from the film I went over some drawings similar to those in the book. Then I remembered it and found it online. It's an American classic children's book - not especially happy.


1 comment:

Sergio Lulkin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.